This is a beautiful, light yet creamy-tasting soup – perfect for detox days. The addition of pear provides a natural sweetness and is rich in pectin to help remove toxins from the body. Fennel provides good support to the liver for cleansing, while broccoli, fennel and pear are all good sources of potassium, to help alkalize the body.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 150g/5½oz broccoli, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 600ml/21fl oz/scant 2½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 pear, cored and chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 2–3 minutes.
2. Add the broccoli and fennel to the pan and stir to coat in the oil. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 20–25 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor, add the pear and process until smooth and creamy.
3. Transfer to a saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm in the pan for a couple of minutes, then ladle into bowls and serve with a drizzle of olive oil.
Serves: 2 • Preparation time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 30 minutes
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 4.5g, Carbohydrate 9.7g, of which sugars 9.3g, Fat 5.8g, of which saturates 0.8g, Kcals 110