At the Zita West Clinic we know how important the Mind-Body connection is to fertility. Getting pregnant is not just about having sex at the ‘right’ time or going through the motions of IVF; the mind can have a very powerful influence on the whole process of conception.
Negative thoughts, emotions and behaviours can lead to increased anxiety and depression and sabotage your goals to conceive.
Jane Knight, Speciality Fertility Counsellor
Emotional and psychological blocks can get in the way of conception. Your relationship with your partner really holds the key. If you are feeling anger and resentment towards your partner, not enjoying sex and not really ‘connecting’ with your partner, but simply existing alongside in a vacuum, this passion-starved existence is hardly conducive to making a baby together.
Negative messages from figures of authority can feed every cell in your body. If as a young woman, a doctor tells you: ‘you are likely to have problems conceiving when you get older,’ this can have a devastating effect, subconsciously crushing your hopes for motherhood; or if a man has had a very authoritarian father, it may affect his sexuality and his belief about his ability to father a child. Negative feelings can lead to anxiety about sex and the belief that it’s not really worth having sex. Similarly, any traumatic events from the past, such as an abortion (often from years back) or repeated failed attempts at IVF or recurrent miscarriage can create feelings of negativity and despair.
“Past or present experiences can create blocks that prevent the optimal mindset for conception to take place.” Jane Knight
Can you identify with any of these statements?
- I need help to stay positive.
- I feel out of control.
- I am getting over-anxious.
- I have never failed at anything until now.
- I need help to manage my stress.
- I know I am a perfectionist by nature.
- Maybe I don’t deserve to have a child.
- I don’t want to have any regrets.
- We need help to make the right decision.
- The clock is ticking.
Fertility Counselling will help you to change your mind-set and learn to let go. The emphasis of the programme is to use techniques to challenge your negative beliefs and to come up with strategies to help you cope positively with the rigors of fertility investigations and treatment and to maximize your fertility potential. The programme incorporates a variety of techniques and treatments depending on individual and couple needs. This may include hypnotherapy with guided relaxation and positive visualization or fertility counselling possibly with the use of art therapy. A single session may be invaluable. Other times a series of 3-6 sessions may be more appropriate.
Share this entry
- The most important thing is understanding the delays to fertility and looking back with no regrets
- Which supplements should you take during pregnancy?
- We’re the number 1 clinic in London
- 9 Questions About |Fertility That Every Twenty-something Should Know The Answer To
- 5 Common Mistakes That Might Be Delaying Your Chances of Conception – And How To Avoid Them
Fertility Clinic Services
Products to Help You
The Zita West Acupuncture Network Directory
Your shopping basket
New Clients: 0207 224 0017
Existing Clients: 020 7224 0017