This wonderful Mediterranean-inspired dish is full of antioxidants, and the quinoa is packed with flavonoids and fibre. It is perfect for packed lunches and delicious warm or cold. Prepare in advance to allow the flavours to develop. For additional protein, serve with sliced roast chicken or prawns, or leave out the anchovy to make it vegetarian.
- 140g/5oz/⅔ cup quinoa
- 375ml/13fl oz/1½ cups vegetable stock
- a pinch of saffron strands
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 60g/2¼oz/½ cup pitted black olives, halved
- 200g/7oz/1⅓ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 30g/1oz/scant ¼ cup toasted pine nuts, to serve
- coriander leaves, to serve
LEMON HERB DRESSING
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 anchovy fillet, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 handful of mint leaves
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- 1 handful of parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp flaxseed oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Put the quinoa in a sieve and rinse well. Transfer to a saucepan, pour over the vegetable stock and add the saffron. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then turn the heat down to low, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender. Remove the pan from the heat, leaving the lid on, and leave the quinoa to steam for a further 5 minutes, then transfer to a serving bowl.
2. To make the dressing, put the capers, anchovy, garlic, herbs, oils and vinegar in a food processor and pulse lightly to combine.
3. Add the peppers, celery, olives, tomatoes and onion to the quinoa and toss everything together. Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss again to coat. Sprinkle the pine nuts and coriander leaves over the top and serve.
Serves: 4 • Preparation time: 15 minutes • Cooking time: 20 minutes
Nutritional information per serving: Protein 8g • Carbohydrate 26.5g, of which sugars 9.9g • Fat 31g, of which saturates 3.5g • Kcals 428