8 Ways to Lower Your Risk of Miscarriage
Experiencing a miscarriage can be heartbreaking. While the cause is often chromosomal abnormalities that cannot be prevented, there are steps you can take to help support a healthy pregnancy.
At Zita West, we believe fertility encompasses mind, body and emotional wellbeing.
Here are 8 ways to lower your risk of miscarriage from a holistic perspective:
- Reduce stress. Chronic stress negatively impacts fertility hormones and the immune system. Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
- Exercise moderately. Light exercise can improve circulation and lower inflammation. Avoid overexertion and overheating.
- Eat a nutrient-rich diet. Focus on whole foods high in antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Take a prenatal vitamin.
- Achieve a healthy weight. Being underweight or overweight can affect ovulation and hormone balance.
- Limit caffeine. Consuming over 200mg of caffeine per day may increase the risk of miscarriage.
- Don't smoke or drink alcohol. These habits are strongly linked to miscarriage risk.
- Get chronic conditions under control. Diabetes, thyroid disorders and polycystic ovary syndrome should be well managed.
- Take your supplements. Supplements like folate, omega-3s and vitamin D may provide added support.
While these strategies might help lower your risk, they cannot prevent miscarriages due to genetic abnormalities. Sometimes a pregnancy simply isn't viable, which is no one's fault. If you are struggling after a pregnancy loss, know that resources and support are available.
Sex and conception are topics that often come with a mix of excitement, anticipation, and sometimes, confusion. Understanding the ins...
ArticleThe Importance of Egg Health When it comes to conceiving a child, the health of your eggs plays a crucial...
ArticleCompassion in the Healing Process A miscarriage is a deeply emotional and traumatic experience for anyone on their fertility journey....