Roasted Butternut Squash & Ginger Soup with Hemp Pesto
Roasting the vegetables adds a wonderful sweet, caramelized flavour to this soup, and makes it incredibly simple to prepare. Packed full of betacarotene, garlic and ginger, this is a fabulous anti-inflammatory, immune-supporting dish. Adding the hemp pesto provides omega-3 essential fats, while butternut squash is an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamin A, which is particularly important for female reproductive health.
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1cm/½in piece of root ginger, peeled
- 1 butternut squash, about 750g/1lb 10oz, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 60ml/2fl oz/¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 700ml/24fl oz/scant 3 cups hot vegetable stock
- 60g/2¼oz/⅔ cup shelled hemp seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 large handful of basil leaves
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp hemp seed oil
- ground black pepper
1. To make the hemp pesto, put the hemp seeds in a food processor and process until fine. Add the remaining ingredients and process again to form a thick paste. Store in the fridge until required.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Put the onion, garlic cloves, ginger, butternut squash and sweet potato in a roasting tin. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the cinnamon. Roast for 40 minutes, or until tender.
3. Put the roasted vegetables and vegetable stock in a blender or food processor and process until smooth – you may have to do this in two batches. Transfer to a saucepan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm in the pan for a couple of minutes, then ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of hemp pesto.
Serves: 4 • Preparation time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 45 minutes
|Nutritional information per serving:|
|of which sugars||10.7g|
|of which saturates||3.9g|
A word from Zita: "It’s always hard when you are trying month after month for a baby, and it isn’t...
ArticleWhen you're trying to conceive, it can be difficult to cope with others around you falling pregnant. Whilst you may...
ArticleUp to 50% of fertility issues are associated with male factor and the male partner plays a vital role in...