Indonesian Chicken with Buckwheat Noodles
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm/¾in piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 400ml/14fl oz/generous 1½ cups coconut milk
- 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into large chunks
- 125g/4½oz buckwheat noodles
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 1 pak choi, cut into strips
- 100g/3½oz mangetout
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 handful of bean sprouts, to serve
- 2 spring onions, chopped, to serve
1. Put the lemongrass, coriander, onion, garlic, ginger, coconut sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, turmeric, garam masala and coconut milk in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Pour over the chicken pieces and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Cook the buckwheat noodles with the sesame oil according to the packet instructions, then drain and refresh under cold water.
3. Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a wok or large frying pan. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade, and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes. Add the chilli, pak choi, mangetout and mushrooms and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the reserved marinade and simmer for 10–15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Toss in the noodles and warm through. Sprinkle over the bean sprouts and spring onions and serve.
Serves: 2 • Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus at least 2 hours marinating • Cooking time: 20 minutes
|Nutritional information per serving:|
|of which sugars||24.1g|
|of which saturates||7g|
Omega-3 fatty acids, lauded for their numerous health benefits, have come under the spotlight in recent years for their potential...
ArticleWelcome to your in-depth guide on preparing for labour. With comprehensive coverage on topics ranging from nutrition and supplements to...
ArticleMore and more women are choosing to embark on the journey of motherhood after the age of 40. While this...