What to pack in your hospital bag
Packing a hospital bag ensures you not only have the essentials the hospital doesn’t provide, but it also allows you to bring things from home to help you feel more comfortable and relaxed during delivery and while in recovery after your baby is born.
If you are feeling overwhelmed at the thought of packing a hospital bag, we have put together a rough guide for you. Your preferences or ideas of things you will need may differ to this list and that's okay! We would suggest packing your hospital bag at least 2 weeks before your due date.
Mum's hospital bag
- your birth plan and hospital notes
- comfortable and loose outfits for labour
- comfortable outfits for after labour that have easy access for breastfeeding
- loose, stretchy clothes and slip-on shoes to go home in
- a nursing bra
- breast pads
- 2 packets of sanitary or maternity pads
- 5 or 6 pairs of knickers and disposable knickers
- your washbag with a toothbrush, hairbrush, body wash, lip balm, deodorant, hair ties etc
- you might want to include some of our skincare products, like comfort down under to ease any post labour pain
- things to entertain yourself for example, books, podcasts and music (why not create a playlist with calming and empowering songs to boost your oxytocin)
- a fan to cool you down
- dressing gown and slippers
- healthy snacks and drinks
- extra pillows
- a TENS machine if you intend to use one
- anything to make your environment more comfortable: battery tea lights, room sprays etc
- vitamins to ensure your body meets all it's post labour nutritional requirements to help you feel your best, why not try the Zita West Revital Essence
- bodysuits, vests and sleepsuits
- a hat, scratch mittens and socks or booties
- a shawl or blanket
- muslin squares or bibs
- bottles and formula (if you plan to bottle-feed)
a car seat for the trip home
If you found this helpful, why not check out Zita's top breastfeeding tips here.
Towards the end of pregnancy most women are tired, your body might ache from the extra weight you are carrying...
ArticleA word from Zita: "For so many women I look after, the excitement of a positive pregnancy test is fantastic....
ArticleJoin Zita West and nutritionist Rebecca Traylen as they discuss the importance of the first 1,000 days from preconception up...