Chunky Minestrone Soup
This hearty, chunky soup is packed with an array of nutrient-rich vegetables – perfect for when you crave comforting, warming foods. Vary the vegetables according to the season – in the spring try adding asparagus, broad beans or courgettes. For additional protein try adding a little ham or cooked bacon.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 400g/14oz/scant 1⅔ cups tinned chopped tomatoes
- 600ml/21fl oz/scant 2½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ Savoy cabbage, shredded, or a bunch of Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 410g/14½oz tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley leaves
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and sauté the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, leeks and potato for about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage and beans and cook for a further 10 minutes, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in the parsley and serve the soup hot, sprinkled with Parmesan, if you like, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serves: 4 • Preparation time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 30 minutes
|Nutritional information per serving:|
|of which sugars||7.7g|
|of which saturates||2.2g|
Lots of couples these days want to take a proactive approach to planning their pregnancy. Take a look at our...
ArticlePeople often think that there isn’t anything that can be done to boost IVF success, but in our view one...
ArticleZita West Products and Probio7, two of the UK’s leading premium quality fertility and pregnancy supplement brands, are proud to...