The oily richness of trout contrasts beautifully with the sweet lychees and peppery rocket leaves. Hot-smoked trout requires no preparation, making this a speedy, healthy lunch or evening meal. Trout is an oily fish and a useful source of omega-3 fats. It’s also rich in protein and B-vitamins, including niacin, B12 and B6, which are important for ovulation.
- 60g/2¼oz/heaped ⅓ cup cashew nuts
- 150g/5½oz mangetout
- 2 large handfuls of rocket leaves
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced
- 10 lychees, peeled, halved and pitted
- 1 handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 225g/8oz hot-smoked trout
SWEET LIME DRESSING
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tsp xylitol
- 1–2 tbsp fish sauce, to taste
1. Lightly toast the cashews in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring.
2. Blanch the mangetout in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain and refresh under cold water.
3. Put the mangetout in a serving bowl with the rocket, cucumber, lychees, herbs, chilli and onion and toss together. Break up the trout and scatter over the top of the salad, then sprinkle with the toasted cashews.
4. To make the dressing, mix together the lime juice, xylitol and fish sauce in a non-reactive bowl. Drizzle over the salad and serve.
Serves: 2 • Preparation time: 10 minutes • Cooking time: 2 minutes
|Nutritional information per serving:|
|of which sugars||30.5g|
|of which saturates||4g|